Wednesday, December 5, 2012

5th Day of Christmas in a Jar - Cupcake in a Jar

Cupcake in a Jar

For the 5th day of Christmas in a jar, we have a cupcake in a jar. Cupcakes can be a real pain to transport... but not when they are in jars! These are fun to decorate for any occasion. Each jar contains 1.5 cupcakes.

You will need:

  • 16 wide mouth pint jars (I used Kerr)
  • 1 box of cake mix (any flavor you choose)
  • Frosting (store bought tube or homemade)
  • Food Coloring (optional)
  • Sprinkles (optional)
  • Cupcake pan and pan liners

Instructions

For this project, I used regular white cake and blue frosting. I was going for the winter wonderland theme, but white cake mix is brown on the outside when baked. The final presentation was not what I had hope for, so keep that in mind when choosing your colors. I think my colors came out much better on my cupcake crumble in a jar.

Step 1

Bake a batch of your favorite cupcakes. Each box makes 24 cupcakes. Let cool. I made my icing using the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe.

Step 2

Cut each cupcake in half horizontally.

Step 3

Place one cupcake half into the bottom of the jar. Swirl in a layer of frosting. I found it easiest to squirt the icing in one spot while slowing spinning the jar with my other hand. Then put your second cupcake half in the jar, then another layer of frosting. Add your third cupcake half, then top off with a decorative layer of frosting. You might have to play around with how much frosting you'd like for each layer depending on taste and presentation.

Step 4

Decorate with sprinkles for a festive look. I used blue and white for my winter wonderland cupcakes in a jar.

Step 5

Decorate your jars with stickers, ribbons, etc. Since this is a perishable item, give within 3 days.

Cupcake in a Jar

Bridget Davet / Davet Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...